Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Seattle: Day 16 "Bainbridge Vacation"

My adventure began at a bus station. It is amazing that $2.50 can get you into Seattle in 35 minutes. I arrived at the Westlake center, which was booming with people who have somewhere to be. I fit right in.

I passed through the flying fish of Pike's Place as I rushed down to the ferry station. I prefer traveling alone because it feels more adventurous.

The ferry ride was breezy. Children were scurrying around pretending to be pirates while their parents watched Seattle disappear. When we arrived on Bainbridge island, the ferry felt more like a bus at the station. Everyone migrated off the ferry to the taxis and minivans waiting for them. Julie picked me up there.

Bainbridge is beautiful. The beaches are rocky, but that makes them different. Families were playing on the tree trunks that rest on the coast line.

It was quiet.

Julie and the rest of the Rencher family were accommodating. Julie and her siblings joked over taco salads while their mother listened in tolerance. They were wonderful people. They live in a small town called Poulsbo, which is Dutch for something I'm sure.

We kayaked in Liberty Bay after dinner. I saw some amazing sights while on the water. We skimmed over a school of jellyfish as they puffed through the water. Some seals looked at us curiously as they passed by our boats. I never imagined I would kayak with jellyfish and seals.

Eventually, I said goodbye to my friend Julie and boarded a ferry back to Seattle with about 30 other people. I recalled all of my many blessings in life while watching Seattle grow on the horizon.

Quite an amazing trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment