Friday, January 28, 2011

A few comments on the responses on my column

I would like to say a few things about my recent column in light of all the animosity that I have received.

First, is curfew really for our morality? If someone wants to be sexual deviant, then curfew only becomes another rule to break.
 

Married students are not under attack in the column, so it is sad to see how many are getting defensive. The point of the column is to address inconsistencies in the honor code, not to impose a curfew on married students.
 
The "If you don't like it, then get out" argument is no better than the ignorant people who say the same thing about our country. "If you don't like the government, then you can go move to France with all the other wussies." That isn't the solution. The solution is to speak up when you don't agree with a policy.
It is true that I knew what I was signing up for when I became enrolled in the school. That doesn't mean that I should ignore the policies that I disagree with. Conversely, it means that I should help bring about change. That's the beauty of freedom, which we unfortunately do not entirely enjoy at BYU-Idaho. It disappoints me to see how many students are willing to give up there freedoms.


I have been called "immature" and "bratty" for writing the column. I fail to see the immaturity in my writing. Furthermore, I fail to see how expressing one's opinion about a policy he or she doesn't agree with denotes immaturity. If that is the case, then every active and aware citizen of this country is immature. Taking a stand on an issue rather than sitting there and "dealing with it" isn't childish. In fact, it's quite mature. 


Finally, since I wrote this article there have been a lot of attacks on me personally. This is odd considering how many people have called me immature. Though I apparently lack the maturity to lecture everyone on common decency, I will attempt it by reminding everyone that it is the opinion piece that should be under fire and not me personally.

9 comments:

  1. Will you post a link to the column you wrote?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too would love to read the column you wrote.

    Props to you for speaking up for what you believe in! I'm guessing you're against curfew. Hey, me too. I always thought it was weird for a church that believes in agency to impose so many rules.. especially on adults. I don't understand it. Oh well. That's why I left! Thank goodness.

    You're at BYU-Idaho. Immature students is a part of the deal. Sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My column is the post right before this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In this post, Joey, you ask if curfew is really for our morality when in your actual column you said, "True, the honor code protects students in many ways. Curfew helps to protect the morality of students." Just thought you should notice that. And yes, I do think curfew is there to protect the morality of students. It is true that there are those who find ways to be immoral with the curfew still in place. However, we'll never no how many people are actually protected from the curfew, but I think it's quite a bit. And so do those in authority, also. And the obvious fact of the matter is that married students live with those with whom they would morally endanger themselves if they were single. Clearly a good reason for married students to not have a curfew. I think this is the main reason for the curfew for single students and not for married students, but it's so obvious that people just dismiss it and think it's ridiculous, even though it makes the most sense.

    Secondly, there is a major difference in the two arguments concerning the "if you don't like it, then get out" attitude. When it comes to people disagreeing the the American government it is there job to see that it is changed. The purpose of the American government is to protect the rights of every citizen. You don't have to sign up to be american and agree to live certain principles. Every law in America (in theory of course. It's not like this very much) is set to protect the freedoms of each citizen. If you don't like something, you shouldn't have to get out. It's your RIGHT to be here.

    When it comes to BYU-Idaho, however, you signed up to be here. It is not your RIGHT to be here, but it is a privilege. You don't have to come to BYU-Idaho and BYU-Idaho doesn't have to admit you. When you signed up, you agreed to live by the rules and that is your obligation. There obligation (as a private institution and not as a government entity) is to provide you with education. If you no longer wish to abide by the terms of your at will contract, then you no longer are entitled to the education provided by BYU-Idaho. So in essence, "if you don't like it, then get out."

    Finally, do not take any of this as a personal attack against you. As an "active and aware citizen," I'm merely expressing my opinions. Thanks for sparking a fun little debate, Joey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The original column posted ran in the Scroll newspaper at BYU-Idaho. I wrote that line originally so that I wouldn't end up in the Honor Office. The administration of BYU-Idaho doesn't like it if you speak out against them. You can get kicked out of school for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiffany: You think it's odd for the Church to have rules. Have you ever heard of the Ten Commandments? Having rules does not take away our agency. Agency is the freedom to choose. No one is forcing you to follow the rules; you make that decision yourself, and then you deal with the consequences. Isn't that why we're on the earth, to practice choosing the right? (I am in no way referring to the rules at BYU-I being the "right" rules, I'm just saying.)

    Bretton: Thanks for distinguishing the two. I agree with you there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you know that president Monson approves the honor code. I think if you have issues with it, then you shouldn't complain to the school. You should complain to the first presidency. I agree with the argument of "if you don't like it then leave" because my tithing dollars (which is a substantial sacrifice for ALL students and most of the world) pay for 2/3 of your tuition. Be grateful, curfew used to be at 10:30!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saying you are immature for stating the truth is the most immature thing I have ever heard. In fact, maturity is the ability to confront issues in this manner. You are going to make an excellent journalist Joey, this is exactly what it is all about. Do you honestly think a journalist is supposed to be quiet about issues just because it might make people attack you personally? Get used to it, you are a leader, always have been. Let the followers attack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never had a curfew and I don't see why I want to start when I'm an adult. This is a great issue to bring up! Honestly, the curfew hasn't really done anything for me in my life and if I had the time I'd research a way to get rid of it.
    BYU Provo doesn't have a curfew (talk about fair!)! They call it visiting hours (which really isn't that much better, it sounds like jail) and the opposite sex just has to be out at midnight every night and 1am on Friday. I think if you do not agree with something then bring it up, learn why it is that way, ask why you need it because I have been asking and not a single person can tell me why we have a curfew. It's irritating to say the least, but I want answers to this as well. Thank you for speaking up! Also, I loved your column, good job! To everyone else, stop with the "ungrateful" comments and lets leave tithing out of this. I've payed tithing my whole life so going here is an investment for me if you want to look at it that way.

    ReplyDelete