Monday, January 24, 2011

Fairness in the BYU-Idaho honor code for single students

When I was a child, my parents gave me a curfew, chores and a designated room in my home. It was assumed that when I became an adult that I would be able to make those decisions for myself.

I am 25 years old. I pay my own tuition, housing, insurance and other bills. However, at BYU-Idaho I have a curfew, clean checks and restricted choices in housing. Despite my age, experience and amount of responsibilities, I am still treated as though I am a child.  

Contrarily, married students have no curfew, clean checks or housing restrictions. Despite the age of married students, they are treated like adults who are capable of handling themselves, which is different from the treatment of single students. For example, my 19-year-old married friend can go see the midnight showing of "Harry Potter" without fear of reprimand or punishment.

True, the honor code protects students in many ways. Curfew helps to protect the morality of students. However, these rules should be the same for all students. For instance, either married students should receive a curfew or single students should have theirs lifted.

In comparing the treatment of single and married students, one seems more privileged than the other. It is wrong to treat one group of students different than another because they haven't had the opportunity to get married. What's worse is when a single student complains about their unfair treatment, they are met with responses like, "Well, you should just get married and you won't have to worry about it." I'm trying, but thanks for the reminder.

I firmly believe that if you treat someone like a child, then they will become a child. This childish treatment of single students not only encourages immaturity, but also cripples their ability to manage themselves in a real world setting.

I do not need to be told when to come in at night, when to clean my room and where to live. I am an adult, and am capable of making my own decisions. The inconsistency in the rules is unfair and insulting to single students.

Let adults be adults, despite their marital status.

3 comments:

  1. Joester. I like your writing style. Very direct and concise.

    Remember when you were writing that editorial about the arts? And how much that freaked you out?

    Well, look at you now!

    Oh, an I totally agree. Esp. with the approved housing. MONOPOLY, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey, you know that I agree with you, as I have taught you to express yourself and stand for what you believe. Rules were made in the beginning because someone did something wrong, illegal or immoral. Rules are not for the responsible people they are for the ill responsible people, the rule breakers and unfortunately all are punished as a result of a small group of people who can not act accordingly. I am proud of you for having the guts to stand up to a very large group of people who do not agree with you and never will and with that being said I must end with this thought; you chose to go to BYU and so I must say that you are responsible for following the rules. Say what you want but remember it is your choice to be there...

    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

    Can you change this? You either have to accept that you can not change this and find serenity, or make the change and accept you did. The key is having the wisdom to know the difference.

    I love you my most passionate son.

    ReplyDelete